Rather, I sat at home, in front of the computer, wearing my pajamas, and eating a bowl of cereal while grocery shopping.
A year ago, my husband and I joined West Michigan Co-op. Through this organization, local farmers post their products on the Co-op's web site, and then consumers/members of the Co-op purchase food from the farmers through the web site. You order the food online (which is what I was doing yesterday), and then go pick it up at the designated pick-up date and location.
Besides being able to do a portion of my monthly grocery shopping in my pajamas while eating breakfast, here are some other reasons why I love the Co-op:
- Support local farmers.
- Get fresher food (its not shipped from South America like a lot of the food in grocery stores).
- Much more environmentally friendly.
- You can read about each of the farms and their farming practices before ordering their products.
- You can select foods that are certified organic, free-range, grass fed, pesticide free, etc.
- You can minimize dealing with the shopping cart traffic jams and long check-out lines that occur in traditional grocery stores.
And while you're writing your check, think about the good that you're doing. It's win-win for everyone: the Earth, West Michigan farmers, and you.